Associate Director of Technology and Digital Experiences
The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
The Associate Director of Technology and Digital Experiences leads the strategic growth of the Walker Art Center’s internal and public-facing digital services. This is a critical role leads the people and efforts of the Walker Art Center’s Information Technology team and website developers in meeting our current and future business. This consultative role will support internal and external teams to ensure the Walker reflects best practices within the field.
WHAT YOU GET TO DO
- Collaborates with senior leadership and key stakeholders to ensure the alignment of infrastructure, future digital investments, and systems with company objectives and strategy
- Responsible for overseeing the Museum’s public websites, intranet, and other digital resources and supporting internal operations and online platforms.
- Leading the digital product teams by forecasting and consulting on sustainable web technologies
- Provide thought leadership and serve as a Subject Matter Expert (SME) on technology trends, market opportunities, and competitive threats
- Consult for internal partners on technical aspects of institutional initiatives.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive technology and digital strategy aligned with the company's goals and objectives.
- Accountable for the leadership, development, and maintenance of multiple complex and high-priority projects, creating detailed, comprehensive, and well-structured business plans concerning the information technology team
- Evaluate and adopt emerging technologies and trends that can enhance the company’s competitive advantage and customer value proposition
- Foster a culture of innovation, collaboration, and continuous improvement within the IT function and digital products
- Responsible for the protection of the Walker’s information assets and the execution of information security policy and procedure
- Drive innovation, identifying opportunities to leverage emerging technologies to enhance products, services, and operations.
- Partner with the Director of Operations to prepare and present the departmental budgets, meticulously tracking costs, ensuring accurate reporting, proper expense management and project projections, and any budget variances
- Collaborate with external vendors, partners, and third-party providers to enhance technology capabilities and solutions for the institution
- Collaborate with Design and Marketing teams to ensure best user experience on online platforms
- Establish and maintain effective governance, policies, standards, and best practices for IT operations, projects, and processes
- Actively participate in daily stand-up meetings
- Lead all compliance and staff education as it pertains to current privacy, safety, and security legislation and regulation changes
- Be a leader in developing industry standards for IT security, privacy, and risk management
- Establishes and manages vulnerability management program for all technology systems
- Build and lead a high-performing technology team, fostering a culture of collaboration, innovation, and excellence
- Oversee recruitment, training, and development of the Information Technology and Digital Products teams
- Participate in and facilitate training, conferences, and professional development.
- Participate in institutional events, meetings, and forums such as Extended Leadership meetings and other cross-departmental work teams, all-staff meetings, and public life.
WHAT WE NEED IN YOU
- Requires a college degree or equivalent work experience
- 7-10 or more years of experience in information technology supporting a business
- 3-5 or more years of experience managing people and teams
- You will need a deep understanding of software methodologies and the ability to balance technical expertise with business acumen
- Strong technical team leadership, vendor and partner management, and demonstrated delivery of projects in varying levels of complexity
- Must have experience overseeing UX and UI teams
- Must have experience preparing and managing budgets against strategic goals
- Must have a strong understanding of the steps and processes involved in identifying and addressing technology needs that surface from broad and varied constituents
- Demonstrated ability to develop technology strategies and provide pragmatic and effective leadership for their development and implementation
- Possess strong executive summary skills when communicating issues of risk and risk mitigation to senior and executive teammates, while maintaining a solutions-oriented approach
- Ability to drive transformational change in complex environments and organizations
- Lead with excellent communication, team building, and collaboration skills
- Exceptional technical acumen
- Must be in alignment with Walker’s commitment to centering equity in everything we do
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk
- Prolonged periods engaging with digital screens
This position is considered full-time, exempt. As an exempt position, it is not eligible for overtime pay. The minimum compensation for this role is $80,000 annually. The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline All positions are open until filled.
Apply for this position