Digital Publishing Strategist
The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
The Walker Art Center is seeking an innovative and experienced Digital Media Strategist. The Digital Media Strategist’s primary focus is producing content that resonates and engages the Walker’s audiences through dynamic storytelling. This position is responsible for both the editorial strategy and distribution approach across channels. Reporting to the Director of Marketing & PR, the role is part of the Communications and Content Division. The Digital Media Strategist manages the Digital Content Creator.
DIGITAL PUBLISHING AT THE WALKER
The Walker empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. Digital content supports deeper audience engagement through producing essays, conversations, and curatorial perspectives.
People globally connect with the Walker through a range of digital experiences. The Walker’s content team is driven to ensure that these moments are rewarding, accessible, and building relationships with audiences. Walker online publishing platforms include the Walker Reader, The Gradient, Mn Artists, YouTube, and social media.
Develop multi-channel publishing strategy
- In partnership with Head of Content and Director of Marketing, develop and implement a digital content strategy across all digital channels.
- Responsible for defining the tone of voice across digital communications. Develop and maintain editorial standards for online content.
- Be an internal advocate for engaging audiences digitally.
- Partner with editorial board on maintaining digital product roadmap.
Lead online content initiatives
- Manage the digital content calendar, establishing content priorities and providing strategic leadership. Responsible for timelines and content budget management.
- Write, edit, and manage content flow for walkerart.org. Ensuring a timely and engaging online experience.
- Maintain search engine optimization ensuring best practices are regularly are being utilized.
- Create analytics reporting framework. Build views that integrate digital engagement and inspire audience-first content planning.
- Collaborate with colleagues throughout the organization to create project-specific digital experiences.
Support marketing campaigns
- Identify storytelling opportunities that help create engaging marketing campaigns for Walker programming.
- Copyedit marketing emails ensuring accuracy and alignment with brand voice.
- Support Marketing team with ad-hoc campaign needs, including copy editing and writing tasks.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Creative Writing, Art History, Journalism, Communications, or other related studies.
- 5+ years editorial experience. 2+ years online publishing experience.
- Excellent writing, copyediting, and proofreading skills, with a keen eye for detail.
- Demonstrable interest in modern and contemporary art.
- Adept at managing multiple deadlines, including long- and short-term deadlines, and complex projects from inception to final deliverable.
- Excellent project management skills including creating and managing schedules. Must work independently, provide accurate work estimates, and manage timelines across multiple projects.
- Strong communication and diplomatic skills in order to interface with various departments and management levels. Natural collaborator who enjoys working closely with others.
- Familiarity with current and emerging digital publishing trends and forecasts.
- Comfort and familiarity using digital publishing platforms and content management systems.
- Familiarity with digital analytics, uncovering insights and putting them into action.
- A commitment to equality as an institutional goal, and comfort with inclusive and accessible language.
- This position is considered full-time, exempt. As an exempt position, it is not eligible for overtime pay. The minimum compensation for this role is $65,000 annually. The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline All positions are open until filled.