Since 1980, the Walker’s Design department has maintained a graphic design fellowship program that provides recent graduates (both undergraduate and graduate) the opportunity to work in a professional design studio environment.
The Walker Design Fellowship provides unique insight into our renown design department, working in close collaboration with an inspiring cohort of designers, curators, artists, and other cultural producers at the institution. The Walker’s design department provides a welcoming working environment, with full access to tools and mentorship through this full-time employment on a one-year term. Previous fellows have went on to do incredible work around the world, as well as here at the Walker.
We are searching for designers who are open to learning and collaboration, while being comfortable and adept at developing projects for both print and screen. Ideal candidates will be firmly grounded in visual design principles and the print and digital design processes. The work that fellows gain experience on and contribute to will include exhibition identities and collateral materials, as well as online publishing initiatives, campaigns, and signage.
The fellowship offers an excellent opportunity for continued growth and honing your skills through participating in the design process. The fellow will join an accomplished team of professionals known for creating culture-leading work. Immersed in the Design department, fellows gain a deeper understanding of design and editorial work in an art institution; work on projects with deep, rich, interesting content; and are expected to produce work to the highest standards of design excellence. Fellows are involved in all aspects of the design process, including meetings and presentations through production and development, further expanding their professional experience.
Selected from a highly competitive pool of applicants, fellows come from graphic design programs throughout the United States and abroad. We are committed to encourage and welcome candidates from various backgrounds and education, granted they have a great interest and demonstrated rigor in design, visual communication and the arts.
- Fellowship begins in September and lasts one year.
- Fellows work full-time in the department.
- Fellows are eligible to receive benefits such as paid vacation and sick days and health and dental insurance.
Compensation - $40,000 for the fellowship year.
- Non-U.S. citizens must possess a valid work visa for the entire fellowship period.
- Applicants must possess a four-year undergraduate or graduate degree in graphic design.
- Apple proficiency in Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, and Illustrator software is required.
- Knowledge of motion graphic applications and digital video production beneficial but not required.
- Interest in contemporary arts and current design and cultural issues desired.
- Successful applicants must have good communication and organizational skills and be able to meet tight deadlines.
How to Apply
In addition to completing the application, please submit: a letter of interest, a résumé, names and contact information of three references, and a PDF portfolio containing 8-10 examples of graphic design work (no larger than 19 MB).
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.