The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
The Copywriter will be responsible for setting the tonal guide for Walker communications, writing content and copy for communications and marketing initiatives in concert with the overall content strategy of the Walker. The Copywriter will help bring the Walker’s mission and message to life in order to build and sustain meaningful relationships with its audiences by possessing the creative skills to engage and inspire first-time museum visitors as well as longtime loyal audiences, taking large, often complex stories and distilling them down to concise and compelling messages.
What you get to do
- Participates in the development and adherence to a tone of voice for the Walker in alignment with the institution’s vision, values, and messaging strategies
- Serves as the primary writer for marketing and promotional materials, working closely with the Design and Marketing Departments
- Collates text created by different programming departments and crafts medium-specific messaging, from web to social channels
- Collaborates with art directors and editors to conceptualize campaigns and stand-alone pieces of work that are strategic, innovative, and inspiring for a wide range of constituents
- Works with colleagues across all departments to imagine and produce compelling narratives around the Walker’s collection, archive, and programming for the Walker’s print magazine, website, email communications, and social media
- Participates in project kick-offs, status meetings, and creative reviews to stay aligned with the creative process and to ensure adherence to timelines
- Writes copy for institutional messaging, including walkerart.org, email, social media campaigns, advertising copy for digital and print mediums, as well as internal communications and the Walker magazine
What we need in you
- A minimum of 3-5 years of significant experience in the cultural sector or publishing is required; agency experience is a bonus
- Proven ability to successfully collaborate with various teams at once in a fast-paced environment
- Experience delivering a high volume of creative deliverables in parallel
- An incredible eye for detail, demonstrating a high level of accuracy in finished works
- A thoughtful and creative writer with a capacity to transform complex information into compelling narratives
- A conceptual thinker with experience in a wide array of media including digital, email, social media, print, direct response, video, and events/display
- Experienced in creating a style guide and a tool kit for multiple departments to use
- Possess excellent reporting, writing, and editing skills, including the ability to synthesize input from multiple stakeholders
- Must have experience working on a range of digital content platforms and familiarity with digital content workflows
- Must be able to articulate a strong knowledge of the arts and design, specifically current knowledge of magazine/newsletter/blog culture
- Must have experience acquiring and working with freelancers on a local and national level.
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk
- This position is considered full-time, exempt. As an exempt position, it is not eligible for overtime pay. The minimum compensation for this role is $50,000 annually. The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
- This position is covered by the American Federation of State, County & Municipal Employees (AFSCME) labor contract.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Job Specifications (when applicable)
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline All positions are open until filled.