The Rosemary Furtak Intern in Library Studies
The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
The Rosemary Furtak Internship is for graduate students completing their master’s degree in Library Science, Archival Studies, Information Science, or similar degree with a focus on archival studies. The Intern will provide support for the Walker Art Center Archives and will work with institutional records, artists’ papers, and ephemera files with a goal of preserving the materials while making them accessible through the collections management databases, library catalog, and website. The Intern will also attend Archives + Library Department meetings and participate in library programming. This internship is a total of 120 hours, with an approximate start date of January 2024 and ending as late as May 2024.
WHAT YOU GET TO DO
- Processing department records and special collections
- Digitizing analog photographs and documents
- Identify basic preservation needs
- Assist researchers
WHAT WE NEED IN YOU
- Currently enrolled in or a recent graduate of a master’s degree program in Library Science, Archival Studies, Information Science, or similar degree with a focus on archival studies
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of library systems
- Knowledge of MARC, RDA, OCLC
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work as part of a team and independently
- Prior archival processing experience
- Previous experience in a contemporary art museum or library a plus
- Ability to lift 40 pounds
- Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working at a computer
- Requires concentration and ability to work in a quiet environment
- This position is considered part-time, non-exempt. As a non-exempt position, it is eligible for overtime pay.
- The compensation for the role is $20.00 hourly (120 hours total). The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
- This is position is located in Minneapolis, MN and requires you to be onsite for the duration of the internship.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs.
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline This position will remain open until filled.