The Walker Art Center (WAC) is currently seeking a skilled and capable Stage Supervisor to Lead the Event Production (EP) show crew for Performing Arts and other events. Oversee and assure safe rigging practices.
We have one of the most active and influential contemporary performing arts programs in the country, presenting and commissioning works in dance, music, theater, and performance art. Our William and Nadine McGuire Theater enables performers to present ambitious and technically complex works in an intimate setting. The theater also serves as a research and development space for new performance based pieces, expanding the Walker’s ability to commission and present new works. Walker programming also includes video, film, meetings, receptions and parties both inside the Walker and in other venues and non-traditional locations.
This position is represented by IATSE Local 13.
RESPONSIBILITIES will include:
- Serve as stage supervisor for assigned events—coordinate load-in and load out and supervise the run crew according to schedule provided by production manager
- Coordinate with Front of House for assigned events, overseeing the preshow sequence and communicating timing to EP, FOH and visiting crews and artists
- Advance and prepare lineset schedule and rigging plan for WAC events
- Serve as crew for installation and operation of lighting, projection and rigging for onsite and offsite rehearsals and performances for programming and rentals as assigned by EP
- Assist with all elements of production as directed by Tech Production Manager for assigned events
- Assist with building of scenic and prop elements for events
- Function as Walker Art Center representative for assigned events—advocating for aesthetic, budget, and safety concerns
- Rigging Supervision
- Serve as supervisor of rigging systems and supplementary equipment
- Serve as coordinator of McGuire storage spaces, overseeing coordination among other shops and maintaining systems of organization
- Maintain the rigging equipment, performing minor repairs and cleaning
- Coordinate with Event Production Associate Director (EP AD) for purchases related to maintenance of rigging
- Maintain the line set schedule in the McGuire theater, incorporating the demands of the multi-use nature of the space
- Maintain all rigging paperwork and drawings
- Perform and document annual rigging inspection
- Perform and document semi-annual fire-curtain tests
- Maintain professional demeanor when interacting with artists and staff, being sensitive to cultural differences, and work to create a positive and supportive team environment
- Assist with projects assigned by EP AD
- Full-time (35 hours), Non-exempt; Salary up to 48-55k, dependent on level of experience; Flexibility to work some evenings and weekends required.
- Excellent benefits package, Walker membership and museum discount, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals and support remarkable artists, events and programming.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Education required: Undergraduate degree in technical theater or equivalent experience
- Knowledge/abilities: Working knowledge of all areas of technical production, including lighting, audio, video and data projection, carpentry and stage rigging.
- Experience: Minimum three years professional technical theater experience. Must have rigging experience and experience leading crews.
- Skills: Computer skills to include working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Vectorworks software and troubleshooting for computer presentation. Must have good written and verbal communication skills, be self-motivated, show initiative, and work well as part of a team and in deadline-driven situations. Must have a flexible and supportive attitude toward working with artists
- Physical Requirements: Able to lift 50 pounds unassisted and be comfortable working at heights required by hydraulic lifts, extension ladders and theatrical grids.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.