Director and Curator of Moving Image
The Walker Art Center is seeking a forward-looking, dynamic Director and Curator of Moving Image who will provide strong vision and leadership for our Moving Image programs. As the leader of a key programming department, this position will provide a sound voice inside and outside the Walker on topical issues and the evolving nature of curatorial and intellectual practices in the moving image and cultural fields. The Director and Curator of Moving Image will be a champion of emerging artists and practices within the field. They will maximize the potential for interdisciplinary experimentation. They will create opportunities for audiences of all ages, levels of interest and abilities to understand, appreciate and question contemporary art and artists.
The Director and Curator of Moving Image will provide the strategic stewardship and further development of the Ruben/Bentson Moving Image Collection. They will lead a small talented team and work collaboratively with staff across the institution to develop programming. They will conduct research, contribute written scholarship, and further our programming so the Walker continues to be a trailblazer in artists’ and experimental moving image as well repertory cinema programming. They will utilize audience analytics to evaluate methods and inform decisions.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Represent the Walker to preview new works, develop contacts and gather materials at film festivals and art events throughout the year.
- Formulate vision and strategy for the archiving, preservation, and restoration of film, video, and digital moving image works in the collection.
- Actively blog, publish feature stories, contribute and provide leadership to Moving Image’s online presence
- Be a key fundraising partner with Development team to identify grants and funding opportunities; establish relationships with funders; prepare grant and funding proposals, make presentations to granting agencies and businesses; write reports.
Successful candidates will be:
- Organized and efficient
- Comfortable with ambiguity
- Prior experience with, exceptional knowledge of, and a vast network in the moving image. Must be familiar with moving image practices as presented in museums and other visual arts organizations.
- 5-7 years of progressive and successful experience in the development, implementation, and evaluation of moving image programming.
- 3 years minimum experience directly managing staff members with experience leading collaborative efforts across departments and/or program areas.
- Demonstrated record of accomplishment with scholarship and publications.
- Strong strategic thinking skills with demonstrated experience in financial planning and managing budgets.
- Salary dependent on experience, full-time (35 hours per week)
- Excellent benefit package with generous 403(b) contributions, Walker membership and discounts, and a work environment in a quintessential Minneapolis location, working alongside amazing colleagues, supporting some incredible artists and programming
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. We are faithful to the letter and spirit of the laws that define equal employment opportunity and have pledged to affirmative action. Therefore, Walker Art Center will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or citizenship status, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military status.