Collection & Exhibition Support Technician
The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
This position provides daily and long-term maintenance of works of art installed outdoors, including surrounding grounds, seasonally. Additionally, the role supports activities related to the preparation, installation and deinstallation of exhibitions and projects, and the management of the Walker’s permanent collection.
This is an entry-level position, working alongside members of the Collection and Exhibitions Management team. Individuals in this role will be exposed to a variety of professional museum practices; acquiring and honing the skills essential to museum professionals who work hands-on with contemporary art.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Hands-on, detail-oriented, able to prioritize a range of responsibilities and time-sensitive requests.
- Safe and responsible use of all tools and equipment
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of work environment
- Promote the qualities of a positive and respectful work environment.
- Ability to work on complex projects as a part of a team
- Possess a thorough understanding of project/assignment before executing…ask questions
- Attentive to safety of artwork and people.
- Operating a variety of machines and hand tools
- Answer visitor questions and provide baseline customer service.
- Experience reading, interpreting, and following written instructions, drawings, and floorplans
- Art handling & installation in a museum or gallery setting.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal skills.
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Fabrication experience, knowledge of materials, techniques, and construction processes.
- Basic knowledge of sculptural materials
- Basic carpentry and fabrication skills
- Knowledge and skilled use of hand tools, power tools, moving equipment and mechanical lifts
- Must have the flexibility to work some evenings and weekends as needed
- Work outdoors in the summer, exposure to elements
- Possess comfort and demonstrate competence while working at heights-Must be able to occasionally lift up to 50 pounds
- This position is considered full-time, non-exempt. As a non-exempt position, it is eligible for overtime pay. The minimum compensation for this role is $20 hourly. The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline All positions are open until filled.