Security Guard - Weekend
The Walker Art Center empowers people to experience the transformative possibilities of the art and ideas of our time and to imagine the world in new ways. In our over 125-year history, we have become one of the most celebrated art museums in the country and we are known for our innovative presentations and acclaimed collections of contemporary art across the spectrum of the visual, performing, and media arts.
The Control Center serves as the central communications hub for emergency radio and telephone communications for the Walker Art Center. The Control Guard helps to provide 24/7/365 monitoring of the Walker’s security, life safety and operational systems and responds accordingly if an emergency or issue arises.
What you get to do
- Patrol Walker campus and conduct regular security/safety rounds of the facility and the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden. Assess and audit physical security and operational issues.
- Take charge in emergency situations, communicating necessary information to Chief Guards, contacting emergency resources, and responding as needed (i.e., medicals, weather, fire emergencies, power failures, active threats).
- Oversee museum evacuation procedures using PA system; ensuring clear communication with police, park police, and medics, if the situation requires.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of the building, campus, and staff: evacuation routes, museum and Sculpture Garden policies, etc.
- Partake in CPR training every two years, as well as become TSA certified to enter and/or monitor art storage areas.
- Monitor and secure physical access controls throughout the Walker campus.
- Distribute staff ID badges, access control cards, and keys.
- Communicate with Registration and Program Services department or as needed when art issues arise.
- Complete daily security reports and document incident information in written reports.
- Review incident footage, save video when instructed.
- Check visitors, vendors and contractors in and out of the Walker.
- Utilize WAC security camera system to closely monitor the Walker campus, collection, staff and visitors, including the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden.
- Maintain an appropriate level of confidentiality.
- Provide security escorts for maintenance or other activities throughout campus.
- Inventory any equipment stored in Control Center (i.e., radios, keycards, keys, etc.)
- Keep the dock area secure and safe.
- Work closely with Visitor Services, Facility Rental and Operations staff to ensure all events run smoothly in relation to safety and overall visitor experience.
- Place highest priority on visitor/employee experience; help establish a welcome and respectful environment.
- Consistently welcome, communicate and support your co-workers, manager, WAC staff, contractors, vendor’s, agents, and police.
- Resolve visitor experience issues/obstacles related to security/safety by using productive customer service and communication skills.
REQUIRED SKILLS & ABILITIES
- High school diploma required.
- 1-2 years’ experience in security or monitoring situations.
- Professional demeanor and a strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to show good judgment in stressful or unexpected situations (emergencies, customer service issues, etc.)
- Experience using of various security systems and routines (i.e., monitoring equipment, access control, etc.)
- Experience MS Office Suite (Word, Excel) is preferred.
- Prolonged periods sitting at a desk.
- Occasional exposure to elements such as cold weather, rain/snow or heat.
- Stand or walk on various surfaces for long periods of time.
- Climb stairs, ramps or natural terrain on a daily basis.
- Occasionally lift or carry 5-10 pounds.
- This position is considered full-time, non-exempt. As an exempt position, it is eligible for overtime pay. The compensation for this role is $17/hour. The Walker offers a wide range of benefits for both part-time and full-time employees.
- This position will be Thursday through Sunday primary shift will be 11a - 8:30p.
- This position is not eligible for relocation assistance.
- All applicants must be eligible to work in the United States without the need for employer sponsorship.
Vaccination Expectation The Walker Art Center’s COVID vaccination policy requires staff to be fully vaccinated or to supply a negative test every 6 days. We will consider requests for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs
Walker’s DEI commitment The Walker is committed to being an employer with a staff who, at all job levels, reflects the rich diversity of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to ensuring inclusion and equity in all our employment practices. We deeply value and welcome all the unique lived experiences in our applicants and encourage anyone meeting the minimum requirements to apply.
Recruitment Timeline All positions are open until filled.