Installation Support Technician
The Installation Support Technician is a part-time role providing staff support for the Collections and Exhibition Management Department. Individuals in this role will report to the Lead Preparator. This position is a minimum of 21 hours per week and can flex up to 35 hours or more during exhibition installation. Project assignments will focus on supporting activities related to the preparation, installation and deinstallation of exhibitions, management of the Walker’s permanent collection, the maintenance and cleaning of sculptural artworks in the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden, Walker hillside, and Terraces (including the surrounding grounds).
This is an entry-level position, working alongside members of the Collection and Exhibitions Management team. Individuals in this role will be exposed to a variety of professional museum practices; acquiring and honing the skills essential to museum professionals who work hands-on with contemporary art.
Essential Experience & Responsibilities (include but may not be limited to):
- Art Handling & Installation
- Gallery Preparation (ex: Wall Repair, Sanding, Painting)
- Exhibition Fabrication (ex: Pedestals, Risers, Mounts)
- Exhibition Framing *preferred but not required
- Exhibition Crating (ex: Construction, Demolition, Packing, and Unpacking)
- Loading and unloading of trucks
- Working outdoors for prolonged periods in a variety of weather conditions
Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge and skilled use of hand tools, power tools, moving equipment and mechanical lifts
- Ability to lift 50lbs unassisted
- Basic carpentry and fabrication skills
- Ability to read, interpret, and follow written instructions, drawings, and floorplans
- Basic computer skills
- Basic knowledge of sculptural materials
- Safe and responsible use of all tools and equipment
- 2 years of art handling & installation in a museum or gallery setting.
- Fabrication experience, knowledge of materials, techniques, and construction processes.
- Possess comfort and demonstrate competence while working at heights
- Must possess a valid driver’s license
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. We are dedicated to the letter and spirit of the laws that define equal employment opportunity and have pledged to affirmative action. Therefore, Walker Art Center will recruit, hire, promote and transfer qualified persons into all job classifications without regard to race, color, religion, national origin or citizenship status, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, age, disability, or military status.
The Walker Art Center requires all employees to comply with our COVID vaccination policy, which requires staff to be fully vaccinated or test every 6 days. The Walker Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and will consider request for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs possible without undue hardship.
This posting will remain active until position is filled.