Director of Marketing and Public Relations
The Walker Art Center is seeking a Director of Marketing and Public Relations to lead the creative, collaborative response to reaching Walker’s audience and visitor benchmarks and their corresponding revenue goals. This individual will provide the vision, leadership, and strategic framework for institutional marketing and communications that will deepen the experience for visitors and engage new audiences. The Marketing Director is a vital member of the senior management team, directing all of the Walker’s communication efforts, including marketing and promotion, media relations, public information, and audience development both institutionally and for each of the Walker’s curatorial strands.
- Provide the single point of integration for Walker’s communications; setting institutional messaging priorities (short- and long-term) creating consistent communications and brand profile across all marketing, media relations, visitor engagement and communications platforms
- Advocate and advance the use of information and digital engagement to deepen the understanding of the Walker’s visitors and audiences so that creative, thoughtful, timely and effective engagement can be developed
- Provide support, guidance and oversight for Marketing, PR and Design Departments; working with department managers to establish priorities, set goals, and manage plans and budgets for effective and efficient operations. Potential for broader reporting relationships dependent on skills and experience
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the collection and analysis of audience research and metrics
- Establish marketing and communications reporting standards that measure, monitor efforts to reach identified Walker’s audience and visitor benchmarks and their corresponding revenue goals
- Participate in exhibition and program planning to provide audience insights and creative responses to connect with visitors and advance the museum's brand
- Manage institutional marketing budget, informing the creation and stewardship of the marketing budgets for program areas
- A minimum of 8 to 10 years’ experience showing progressively increasing levels of responsibility with a minimum of 5 years' experience managing teams/ in a leadership role.
- Demonstrated experience leading, developing and implementing marketing and communications strategy across cultural, arts or educational organizations.
- Exceptional, compelling writing and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to quickly develop trusting relationships with colleagues at all levels.
- Enthusiastic, strong commitment to diversity, equity, access and inclusion.
- Proven ability to collaborate and lead teams with or without direct authority.
- Sound project management skills (timelines, budgets and resources).
- Knowledge and passion for illuminating the work of contemporary artists.
The successful candidate is creative and curious. They have a strong understanding of brand positioning and marketing communications in this evolving world, with a focus on how audiences think, behave, build perceptions and consume information. Their strong commitment to equity, access and inclusion will shine through in all the work they do. This innovative and enthusiastic champion of contemporary art will bring deep expertise around marketing and communication strategies and the tactical know-how to foster the marketing work required to assess and improve the effectiveness of the efforts to engage, grow, and diversify the Walker's audiences.
Full-time (35 hours), Exempt; salary dependent on experience, flexibility to work evenings and weekends as required; excellent benefits package, Walker membership and museum discount, and opportunity to work alongside talented individuals and support remarkable artists, events and programming.
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.
The Walker Art Center requires all employees to comply with our COVID vaccination policy, which requires staff to be fully vaccinated or test every 6 days. The Walker Art Center is an equal opportunity employer and will consider request for reasonable accommodations based on disability or sincerely-held religious beliefs possible without undue hardship.