Payroll and Benefits Administrator
The Payroll & Benefits Administrator is responsible for overseeing the centralized payroll process and performing all activities necessary to maintaining related records, documenting, and updating procedures, and streamlining our systems and processes. The position is also accountable for the management of the day-to-day activities within the payroll department as well as managing benefits as they relate to the HRIS system and reporting. This role will be part of the Human Resource team, and report to the Director of Human Resources.
- Full-time (35 hours), exempt, $65-75k annually, dependent on level of experience.
- Excellent benefits package, Walker membership and museum discount, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals and support remarkable artists, events and programming.
- Manage and administer all Payroll.
- Implements, maintains, and reviews payroll processing systems to ensure timely and accurate processing of payroll transactions including salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes, and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates including new hires, terminations, and changes to pay rates.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records and reports of payroll transactions.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and local payroll, wage, and hour laws and best practices.
- Facilitates audits by providing records and documentation to auditors.
- Identifies and recommends updates to payroll processing software, systems, and procedures.
- Liaise with auditors and manage audits related to payroll taxes, worker’s compensation insurance, and benefits.
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions.
- Manage and administer all Benefits.
- Provide all Medical and Dental Insurance benefit administration: Monitor and verify eligibility within all local, federal and WAC requirements; provide up-to-date information and resources; Process enrollments and mid-year changes,
- First point of contact for benefits-related questions from team members.
- Responsible for all aspects of leave management to include but not limited to STD, LTD, and FMLA.
- Oversee the reporting through ADP to all benefits carriers. Create and provide manual reporting when necessary.
- Manage and implement annual open enrollment, including informational and/or help sessions;
- Provide all 403b administration and testing: Monitor staff eligibility; Process new enrollments, and submit termination and vesting status to plan; Coordinate and prepare documents and reports for annual pension plan audit.
- Provide HSA Administration: Prepare report for each semi-monthly and bi-weekly pay date; Process enrollments and terminations; Monitor maximum annual staff contributions.
- Flexible Benefit Reimbursement Plan: Prepare contribution report for each semi-monthly and bi-weekly pay date; Submit new enrollments; and Prepare annual non-discrimination testing report.
- Cobra Administration: Process appropriate forms third party administrator for all new hires, terminations or other status changes; Code, copy, and track all incoming COBRA payments; Review monthly COBRA report to verify all appropriate notices have been sent and documented.
- Short-term Disability: Monitor and verify eligibility and receipt of proper documentation.
- Audit, reconcile and prepare all benefits billing—Long-term Disability, Group Life, Supplemental Life and AD&D, HSA, Flex Benefits, Medical and Dental.
- Process and monitor paid time off. Enter absences into HRIS prior to each pay date, monitor usage and maximum balance accruals, and monitoring eligibility of part-time staff.
- Process leave of absence requests for FMLA and disability leaves. Ensure appropriate physician documentation to support leave is obtained, assist staff in determining how leave will be covered as paid time away and communicate any changes to staff’s pay to accounting for payroll.
- Assure all WAC benefits practices are within local and federal acts/regulations, informing Director of HR and/or staff when regulations/requirements change.
- Follow up with providers regarding staff issues, billing issues, and other questions or concerns.
- HRIS Management and Administration
- Respond to employment verification requests.
- Prepare annual vacation balance report for Chief Financial Officer
- Ad hoc requested projects and tasks
- Create reports, including EEO1, OSHA 300A, salary surveys, retirement plan audits, termination reports, and ad hoc requested reports. Create and maintain queries.
- Provide various employment data to internal/ external constituents as requested.
- Continuous Improvement
- Actively promote cultural change and support new ways of working and continuous improvement within HR to provide a high quality, professional, consistent, and cohesive HR service. This includes working collaboratively and communicating proactively; understanding the needs of, and eliciting and monitoring feedback from employees and identifying and delivering developments to enhance service delivery and employee experience
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends and best practices within business group and in external environment to ensure alignment of business objectives to the people strategy
- Leadership and Teamwork
- Work to achieve common understanding of and commitment to the delivery of the HR Team’s objectives and role model effective leadership behaviors. Provide feedback, and coaching to other members of the HR team as appropriate
- Proactively work with your cross-team to encourage growth and development
- Provide regular and continual feedback and support
- 5+ years’ experience of payroll experience, including payroll taxes.
- 2+ years of experience managing employee benefits and retirement plans.
- Experience administering wide-range benefits offerings with solid knowledge of benefits
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office and payroll/benefit administration systems (ADP preferred).
- Strong organizational skills: ability to establish and maintain records, systems, and procedures; ability to be detail oriented and accurate in all administrative tasks.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities to ensure work is completed in a timely and productive manner.
- Ability to communicate effectively on an interpersonal level. Experience and ability to work with diverse individuals in terms of gender expression, race, sexual orientation, religion, ability, age, class and immigrant status.
- Ability to exercise professional discretion and confidentiality.
- Must be able to display good judgment, solve problems effectively, and maintain a sense of perspective while working under pressure.
- Interest in Walker’s programs/exhibitions.
- CPP certification
- ADP Workforce Now experience.
- 403B experience