Building Maintenance Assistant
The Walker Art Center is more than a museum.
- We commission and present pioneering contemporary art;
- We foster collaboration among visual, performing, and media artists;
- We engage diverse audiences in the excitement of the creative process;
- We serve communities by inspiring and encouraging social and civic dialogue and participation; and
- We are home to the Minneapolis Sculpture Garden
The Walker Art Center is seeking an Building Maintenance Assistant is as a core member of the facility maintenance team.
About the Role:
The Building Maintenance Assistant will conduct repairs and painting of facility. Assist Engineering Manager and Assistant Building Engineer in ongoing maintenance of the facility. Assist with event setups as needed for internal events.
- Execute the Walker Periodic Maintenance painting list to maintain high standards of finish (non-exhibition spaces)
- Support the Facilities team with the operation, general maintenance, and repair of facility and building equipment including boilers, chillers, fans, HVAC, pumps, building automation systems, water treatment, plumbing and sewage system, basic electrical systems and components; basic painting of non-exhibition spaces, as assigned.
- Respond to needs from staff through a work order system for requests to replace light bulbs, basic painting (of non-exhibition spaces) and general building up-keep on a daily basis; order and obtain supplies.
- Assist with internal event setup needs for Walker programmed events.
- Comply with all WAC company policies and procedures
- Duties as assigned
- Full-time (35 hours), Weds-Sunday (hours TBD), Non-exempt; $40k-45k depending on level of experience. Flexibility to work evenings, weekends required.
- Excellent benefits package, Walker membership and museum discount, and the opportunity to work alongside talented individuals and support remarkable artists, events and programming.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- High school diploma with additional technical or college level work preferred
- Minimum of two years of facilities maintenance experience
- Willingness to work toward State of MN Special Engineer Boiler License
- A current, valid Minnesota driver’s license
- Driving knowledge of the Twin Cities metro area preferred
- Ability to operate a wide variety of hand and power tools, grounds and building maintenance equipment
- Ability to lift 50 lbs. routinely and unassisted
- Ability to work at heights required by the use of hydraulic lifts and extension ladders
- Self-motivated and organized with the ability to perform professional under pressure and respond willingly to last-minute requests
- Ability to work independently to prioritize duties while also being team oriented
- Ability to work with work order systems, PC computers and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office
- Good customer service skills/client relations
The Walker is committed to being an inclusive workplace. Our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative, at all job levels, of the communities and audiences we serve. We are dedicated to fair and inclusive employment practices for all individuals.